Lot of organizations, managers and scrum masters have this question. What makes a scrum master great? Is he/she just need to know scrum or do they need to have more than that?
My usual answer – a scrum master need to have some skills and traits. Of course, having sound agile/ scrum knowledge is important and equally important is some mindset aspects which are listed below.
- Don’t ask for permission, ask for forgiveness
- Ask the team
- “I have great responsibility, but no authority”
- “The collective minds of the team vastly exceeds my own”
- My job is to make sure I’m not needed
- I win when the team wins
- Able to holding the mirror for them to reflect and adapt
- Make team feel accountable, inspired, focused
- Inspire, don’t “require”
- Don’t give team the fish, teach them to fish.
- Non judgmental
- Actions based on facts and not on perceptions
- You are a midwife, not the laboring woman
- Live the values!
- Have serve the team as primary goal.